Data Governance Committee
The Data Governance Committee develops and implements the Data Governance Program for the NMSU system, including the development of data governance policies and rules, as well as general oversight for publication of Data Governance standards and other standards of operation (SOPs) applicable primarily to the work of the Data Stewards and Data Users. The Data Governance Committee may establish subcommittees or assign related tasks to university units or employees.
|The Data Governance Committee and other data officials listed below are collectively and individually responsible for implementing the NMSU Data Governance Program.|
Data Trustee: Responsibilities of Data Trustees include – Data Trustee List
- Appoint and designate data stewards for your operating unit based on major systems processing and storing NMSU data.
- Manage, protect, and ensure the integrity and usefulness of NMSU data. In collaboration with Data Steward(s) identify the sensitivity and criticality of the data. Ensure that appropriate business processes are in place to keep the data secure, maximize data accuracy, and ensure that responsible staff are trained to maintain data quality.
- Oversee planning and governance to meet the data needs of the NMSU community and support data-driven decision making. Work closely with other members of the Data Trustee Council and other members of the senior administration to ensure that the appropriate resources (staff, technical infrastructure, etc.) are dedicated to prioritizing data needs and setting and enforcing policies related to data management and use.
- Implement NMSU policies and help to ensure compliance with federal laws related to data governance.
- Serve as an escalation point for issues related to data governance to Chancellor/President.
Data Steward: Responsibilities of Data Stewards include – Data Steward list
- Establish Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and implement data standards. Ensure that staff who maintain data are trained to follow standards.
- Monitor data quality. Work with technical and operational staff to create a process for identifying data entry errors and correcting the data to match NMSU standards. Report to the data trustee any issues that may require larger action on behalf of NMSU’s data governance structure.
- Guide, review and approve appropriate access to NMSU data. Develop data access and reporting protocols which serve the NMSU community’s data needs.
- Assist in reviewing the appropriate sharing of NMSU data with outside parties.
- Handle inquiries about data. Receive and respond to any inquiries related to data that originates from the area they oversee; e.g., questions regarding access, standardization, organization, definition and usage, etc.
- Identify the data custodian(s) – (system administrator or technical professional who is responsible for administering the system(s) where your subset of data resides. Ensure your data custodian(s) understand the required data safeguards based on criticality of risk as per the NMSU data classification policy.
- Develop data entry standards and ensure all system users be trained prior to granting access and regularly.
- Coordinate system access account reviews to NMSU data and systems. Document regular end-user access account reviews to determine continuing need of access and therefore meet audit and other requirements.
- Collaborate with Chief Privacy Officer and other University officials in handling Data Breaches and/or Privacy/Security/Compliance Violations. Ensure data operating processes follow regulatory requirements.
Data Custodian: Responsibilities of Data Custodians include
- Provide a secure infrastructure in support of the Data. This includes, but is not limited to, physical security, network security, system security, system logging, and secure transmission of the Data.
- Grant, modify, revoke and document authorization for, system access to Data Users based on established policies and rules, Data Governance standards and associated SOPs relating to access.
- Assist with implementation of university policies and rules, as well as Data Governance standards and associated SOPs relating to Data access.
- Ensure system availability and adequate response time. Monitor system availability, backup system Data and develop disaster recovery plans; install, configure, patch, and upgrade hardware and software used for Data management; make sure systems are maintained in accordance with policies and/or service level agreements.
- Participate in setting Data Governance priorities. Provide details on technical, systems, and staffing requirements related to Data Governance initiatives.
Data User: Responsibilities of Data Users include:Attend training and follow university policies and rules, standards and associated SOPs related to Data management and protection, including those relating to the security, integrity, quality, consistency, handling, and dissemination of Data.
Identify areas of need relating to Data management and protection.
Report concerns related to Data management and protection to the appropriate NMSU administrator, including any observations or concerns about weaknesses in Data protection; failure to follow Data management policies; or specific issues of quality or integrity of NMSU data.
Data Governance Core Committee: The Data Governance Core Committee develops and implements the Data Governance Program for the NMSU system, including the development of data governance policies and rules, as well as general oversight for publication of Data Governance standards and other standards of operation (SOPs) applicable primarily to the work of the Data Stewards and Data Users. The Data Governance Core Committee may establish subcommittees or assign related tasks to university units or employees.
Individual Title Carlos Lobato Interim Chief Information Security Officer Abel Sanchez R&D Information Security Analyst Lori Montoya Director, Analytics & Decision Support Seth Miner Director, Admissions Vandeen McKenzie Director, Financial Aid Dacia Sedillo University Registrar Robert Doyle Interim Chief Privacy Officer/IT Compliance Officer